TfL Safer Travel at Night campaign

London Higher is supporting the Transport for London’s Safer Travel at Night campaign. As a part of this, we have compiled some questions students may have about how best to get home at night.

As a student in London beginning to venture out and starting to enjoy London’s thriving nightlife, it is important you think about your options for getting home in advance. Transport for London (TfL) is working with Metropolitan, City of London and British Transport Police to help you to stay safe at night.

So, you’re trying to get home after a night out. Here are some FAQs about the different ways you can get home.

Q: I want to get a taxi, but how do I know which ones are safe?

A licensed black taxi with its orange light on can be hailed off the street or from one of more than 600 ranks across the Capital. They can also be booked by phone or app.

Q: I don’t have any cash. Can I pay by card in a taxi?

Every taxi has a card machine so, if you don’t have cash, you will be able to pay using credit, debit or mobile payment.

Q: I’m out with a group of friends and we don’t all fit in a regular cab. How can I get home?

You can get a minicab, but be aware that minicabs cannot be hailed off the street. They must be booked with a licensed minicab company over the phone, online, using an app or at a minicab office. If it is not booked, it is not safe.

Q: How do I know my minicab is safe?

You must receive a booking confirmation which will include the driver’s name, TfL licence number, vehicle registration and where possible a photo of the driver when booking one.

If the driver and vehicle do not match your booking confirmation, do not get in the vehicle – it isn’t safe.

A record will be kept of your journey, your driver and the vehicle they used. The driver can be traced in case of any problems.

Q: I’m heading home, but I want to use public transport. How can I plan my journey?

TfL provides a number of night-time travel services. Download TfL Go to plan your journey home using public transport.

Q: An incident has occurred on my journey home. What do I do?

If you experience any behaviour of a sexual nature from a minicab or taxi driver, including comments of a sexual nature or any other behaviour that makes you feel uncomfortable, please report it online at

If it’s an emergency call 999.

You can also report any behaviour that makes you feel uncomfortable even if you think it’s not necessarily a crime. Call TfL on 0343 222 4000 (Monday to Friday 09:00-17:00) or contact them online.

TfL enforcement officers and the police are working to improve the safety of travelling by taxi & minicab. Find out more on the TfL website: